GWJS Parents Guide to Knowledge Organisers
Every new topic we teach will mean that the children will be bringing home a knowledge organiser. These will also be available on our website.
The idea behind them is that children will be given lots of the knowledge we want them to learn during the topic before we begin to teach. This means that the children can:
- Share their learning with their parents (lots of parents say that children need support to share their learning at home)
- Use the information to research independently (this looks like an interesting subject, I’ll google that!)
- Quiz themselves (do I know what these words mean?)
- Revise (what year was the Great Fire of London?)
- Write on the sheets (I’m going to ask about this in class tomorrow)
- Use them to help with homework (what would be inside a Norman castle?)
This means that teachers can:
- Focus on bringing the learning to life!
- Give all families access to the knowledge they’ll be learning
- Encourage children to take responsibility for their own learning
- Help children to ‘learn to learn’