We uphold and teach pupils about the British Values as directed under new Ofsted guidance, September 2014, which says schools must:
‘ ensure that they and the school promote tolerance of and respect for people of all faiths (or those of no faith), cultures and lifestyles; and support and help, through their words, actions and influence within the school and more widely in the community, to prepare children and young people positively for life in modern Britain’
As educators we recognise we have a duty to prepare our children for life in modern Britain and to keep them safe. The British values are:-
- The Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
We reinforce British values regularly by:
- Our Aims and Values promoting ‘empathetic and open minded attitudes’, being able to understand that others may have different opinions and beliefs, knowing right from wrong and being positive members of the community.
- Assemblies focus on teaching respect, right and wrong, tolerance and differences and respecting and following the law.
- Whole school events recognise and appreciate the beliefs and traditions of others.
- Our RE curriculum which teaches children about other faiths as well as their own.
- Our curriculum, has clear links to British values.
- We are proud to be a UNICEF Rights Respecting School. The conventions have been carefully mapped across our curriculum, woven throughout our relationship and behaviour policy and a point of reference in our daily school routines.
- Leadership opportunities enable children to use their voice to develop our school. School councillors, house captains and vice captains are democratically voted by all children.
- Regular pupil surveys are used by school leaders to find out more about pupil’s attitudes and perception of different subjects and aspects of school life.
- Visits to local places of worship and visitors to school from people of different religions and organisations are mapped across our curriculum.
- Pupils support a variety of charities local, national and global including, Little People UK, Cancer Research and Children in Need.
- Our school policies and procedures further support British values in and around our school.